Sunday, July 12, 2009

Midnight Train to Chiang Mai

Well we are currently en route to Chiang Mai via the 14 hour night train. It was fun for the first hour. Then we got bored. This is why I'm blogging. Alyssa is getting antsy and her ADD is kicking in fast so I have to be quick to keep her from imploding.

Today we went go karting and jet skiing in Pattaya. I had never been jet skiing before so that was fun. Go carting involved us having to wear giant helmets and giant jackets for some strange reason. On the beach we snacked on those tiny crabs I posted a pic of earlier. I had seen them on Bizarre Foods (I hate zimmern) so I was excited when they tasted really really good. If they sol bags of them I would eat them everyday.

We checked out and stopped for lunch atv another seafood place. We ate more crab roe (her aunt really likes it), steamed sea bass, raw crab papaya salad, raw shrimp with chili and lime (my favorite), sea snails, fish egg soup, and more of that really good fried rice. Seriously the food is just so good on this trip. No matter where we go whether it looks like we will catch the plague or its nicer than most LA places, everything is great.

An hour and a half later we were back in Bangkok being dropped off at the train station. Aunt Tan wanted us to eat before we left so even though we just had a feast, we got noodles and satay in Chinatown on the street. I got my second coconut juice for the day (I can't get enough of it).

We were sooo full but we went across the street to a small restaurant specializing in bird's nest soup. Yeah, they take actual birds nests made of bird saliva and cook it into a thick, slimey soup. We ordered two and they cost about 30 bucks and those were the cheap ones. People spend up to 30,000 dollars on these nests... Its insane. It actually tasted ok when honey was added. Its just a textural thing and a mental thing-- I mean, you're slurping on bird spit. Sweet bird spit.

Now we are on the train. Alyssa keeps looking down at me from her top bunk angry that I'm not giving her attention. So I must go.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

  1. my relatives on my mom's side of the family tried to make me eat it. i think i had the same problem at the time i heard it was bird spit. but for the sake of health, I am now taking it regularly.

    btw, i don't buy the super-expensive kind like old people do. the ready-to-drink kind at the stores are pretty affordable. (e.g. www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm)

    ReplyDelete