Friday, July 10, 2009

The Beach

The ice cream at our resort is so good. We are pretty sure its made to order. We feel so young when we get it because they put rainbow sprinkles and whipped cream on it. And again, people just stare.

We rented a kayak in the morning and attempted to cross the bay. The water is just so clear it is insane. We didn't make it across the bay... Kayaking is hard.

We booked a half day snorkeling trip after lunch that goes around the island and to another nearby. we were on the trip with a bunch of young couples on honeymoons or about to be engaged and then this German family. They were scary. I swear, legit Germans scare me. The ones Marie and I met in Europe were just the same. And now the ones here in phuket too. They weren't happy at all. Or at least didn't seem that way. And they were all matching... The mom, dad, and two small twin kids had wet suits on (?), and piles of sunscreen on, then the best part was their hats they were wearing. Each one had kind of like a bungee cord connecting the hat to their shirt ... So they don't get lost? Strange.

We sat on the front of the boat for premium wave action alongside a group of girls from Norway. They were all terrible of course. One, the one who literally looked like she was smelling shit, had picked up some guy who was obviously from south east asia and they were touching each other a lot in front of us. They all had huge boobs that were falling out of their tiny bikini tops and they were only 18. Alyssa thinks the girls were making fun of her in their language. They weren't friendly. And they kept smoking in our faces. We wanted to punch them. We asked the boy where he was from and he said Nowhere... Making him even sketchier than he already seemed.

We stopped at Monkey Beach first just to walk along the tiny beach and try to see monkeys. We saw one. That was neat. Then we headed to Long Beach aka Shark Point. Not a very good beach name if you ask me. But we were told we would see a lot of black tip reef sharks (like the one I saw in Hawaii as a young child and scared me to death). We didn't see any but some others on the boat saw 2 or 3. I'm not sure if I'm upset or relieved.

We went to the other island which was pretty much uninhabitated minus the birds nest farmers that live in the caves and collect the expensive delicacy. I just have to pause for a minute and say I'm in a car with alyssas family and her cousin is watching high school musical 3 and I want to blow my brains out. Back to the blog-- we snorkeled a bit-- saw so many sea cucumbers and a fish bit me. I think he was confused because I'm so white and so is the bread people were feeding them.

We finally reached Maya Bay, where The Beach was shot and the place I needed to see. Because the tide was too low, the boat had to stop on the other side, we had to get out, swim to the rocks, climb a ladder or go thru a little cave, then hike a ways through the jungle to get to the bay. It was awesome and painful. The rocks are so slippery and sharp. And the ladder was like home made with wood and super high and scary so I crawled thru the cave instead. The hike was beautiful I felt like I was in Lost. Then the pathway opened onto the beach. Definitely the prettiest beach I've ever seen. Kua Bay in Hawaii was very similar except this bay has giant mountains covered in jungle trees surrounding it with little inlet cave things to crawl under. So it wins. The water was so so so so so so clear and warm and the sand so soft. I wish all the people there were gone though. Whatever. We sat sooo far out and it was still to our ankles. We just laid in the water for about 10 min then Alyssa was like Uhh why didn't anyone else from our boat come? How stupid! We should get back soon or they may leave with out us! But I was like... Why would they only let us stay here for such a short time? Anyway, we started the hike back thru the island and came across one of the Australian couples from our hotel walking towards Maya. They were like, How did you get here? You know you were supposed to go back to the boat and then we all moved closer to the bay so it wasn't such a long swim! We were like... Oh my god. First off... It was a long swim. Secondly, didn't anyone wonder where we were?! Stupid norway girls! But the couple informed us we had an hour to play at the bay. Hurray!

Everyone from the boat made it to the beach. We were bummed because we only had our underwater camera since we had to swim so our pictures beter come out good! That sketchy unknown guy was out in the water near us so Alyssa and I were determined to find out where he was from. I said Tonga or Burma. I can't remember what Alyssa said but burma was right! He actually seemed like a pretty ok person.. Except he was dating shit face girl.

For dinner we wanted seafood on the beach so the boat guy told us a few places to try. We had fried fish (of which a small bone got stuck in my throat and is still there), clams, and grilled squid. It was all lovely. Especially that fish. The paper thin cheek bone stuck in my esophogus is worth it.

We didn't get to the other side of Thailand for the real full moon party but koh phi phi was supposed to have their own little beach party. Unfortunatelyt for us, it was a buddhist holiday which was why all the nightlife was dead the past few nights. We wandered around and stopped at a few bars that had finally opened. Tiger bar was kinda cool. The DJ just did one scratch and then left to talk to some tourists. The drinks weren't strong at all and probably had like no alcohol in them. They were practically free anyway. Tourists everywhere were sucking down "buckets" of alcohol which was gross. Alyssa gets drunk easily. I on the other hand was just tired fron the long day and wanted to go to bed. On our way to the beach bar, carpe diem, these guys outside a bar called Apache were trying to get us to come inside. No one was in therem when I say everything was dead... Its true. There was like no one out anywhere. The guys had piercings all over there face and had lisps because of it. No thanks.

Carpe Diem was actually really cool. We sat on mats on the beach with little fire pits everywhere. They're big on fire shows on this island so there was a fire jump rope you could do and get a free shot if you didn't catch on fire. We tried the fire limbo at the highest point. The fire was extremely hot. One worker did it all the way to the floor. I don't know how he wasn't on fire. He befriended Alyssa, while this Austrian man tried to talk to me. He claimed he had just arrived and had nowhere to stay and was waiting for someone "to invite" him. Then of course asked if we had our own room, that's when I said its time to leave. I don't know why this happens to me, in NY when kaity and I got fleetweeked a guy did the same thing! Maybe he's part of the Austrian fleet week.

On the way back we played a game where we count cats. In a 5 min walk we counted about 30. I need to stress that there are soooo many cats here! We then proceeded to trip over all the boat ropes tied to the beach and finally reach our hotel. That is all for that day... Ill do yesterday when my hands regain feeling.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment: