Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We Are Millionaires

No seriously, I have a million dollars in my purse right now. It makes me feel powerful.

I forgot to write about how when we first got to the hotel, we had just exchanged money and had no idea what we were doing. The bell hop took us upstairs and was helping us learn some words to say, and then we weren't sure about tipping him. We decided he was nice and who cares if you aren't supposed to so we did. We hand him a bunch of money and he just starts laughing and leaves. Now we know we only gave him 2000 dong which is basically like handing someone a handful of pennies and paperclips. Oh well, we are dumb Americans.

So yesterday we slept in a bit because the hotel is so comfy. I have never appreciated air conditioning more. And I am pretty sure I still have bruises from sleeping on Claire's hard mat bed. Anyway, Nhat met up with us and we all went to have Pho for lunch. I can't even describe how much better it is here. Alyssa doesn't even like it in America and she loved it. It's just like, every flavor is perfectly balanced, nothing is too overwhelming. The noodles are melt-in-your-mouth delicious. And just like Bourdain said (I will reference him a lot here) there are these beads of fat and oil and flavor in the soup that you don't see in America. It just shows how long they cooked it and how freaking awesome it is. Nhat took us to a place that is famous for having the best in the city.

After that we stopped at a juice place and Nhat got us Corn Milk and Pomelo Juice. The corn milk tasted like pureed corn... and milk. It was not ok. The pomelo was fine, kind of grape-fruity and very pulpy. It was hot so we drank the cool drink. Nhat took us to the Vietnam (American) War museum. Ok... this was really boring. Just being honest. I know the war sucked and Americans are horrible, I don't need to pay money to re-learn all of it. But Nhat is like super into history I think and he said we should go. After we left he said he thought we would be more emotional because many Americans get sad when they see it. But like, I'm not stupid maybe if I always thought Americans were completely innocent during war times that I would be shocked to learn about Agent Orange and all the horrible brutality they inflicted on innocent Vietnamese people... but guess what? I'm liberal. The end.

We met up later with Hellos, another one of Linh's friends he set us up with. Ok Linh, apparently you are FAMOUS in HCMC? EVeryone kept telling us how well known Linh is and how everyone looks up to him in the film scene here. They also call him the big bear because he is much taller than everyone else. Hahaha. And ok, so all of these people he set us up with are his friends from this website he runs (correct me if I'm wrong) called MoviesBoom.com with movie reviews and forums. And all the people we are meeting have nicknames that they use in the forums. So Nhat doesn't know Hellos, but he knows him online. His name is Hello Stranger-- from Closer. And Nhat's is Avatom because he likes Avatar. And then we met Quarfeld whose name is Chau but nicknamed that because of Garfield or something. I don't know I am confused.

Nhat, Hellos, Alyssa and I went to book our Cu Chi Tunnels tour for the next day and Chau met us there. The five of us then went to eat SNAILS. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gosh. I was so happy. They took us to this little alley way, to a little tiny restaurant where we sat on plastic chairs outside at a tiny table. No tourists anywhere. They all come here a lot and it is supposed to be the best for snails. They ordered us 10 different kinds along with clams, mussels, scallops, and more. We dipped things in an oil and a salt/pepper/chili mix. They also had us try the country's signature soda which sorta tasted like Root Beer. We also got sugar cane juice which was so refreshing. They thought we would be scared to eat the snails but NO! They were all SO DELICIOUS. I can't even explain. They all looked super cool too. Chau was like, Have you kissed a boy? If you have kissed boy you will be able to eat snails! ... I am not sure why Vietnamese people SUCK when they kiss but uh whatever. But yes, you suck the snails out of their shells. So much food and it was only a snack. Plus it was only like $3 each. I told them if we were in America, 6 snails in garlic sauce would be $15. Oh and the best part was that I ate something CRAZZZZY that even BOURDAIN won't try! I had one of those fertilized duck eggs... where the baby duck is fully developed inside. Yeah. YEAH. I did it. First I tried the egg part but couldn't tell where the actual duck was. Then I noticed oh hah, there's the baby beak. Oh, and there are the little wings. Ok then. So I just went for it and ate it's head. HAHAHAHA. It was actually REALLY good and I am not just saying that. It melted in my mouth. Please don't throw up. It is normal here! We eat weird processed meat-- you don't really know what is in that bologna!

After the snack we went to see the "Beverly Hills" of HCMC which is near the river. We decided to get on the ferry just to have a little trip across the river. It lasted about 10 minutes but we had a lot of fun. We missed the first ferry and had to wait for it to return. So many motorbikes and cars fit onto that thing it is crazy. Then the five of us went back to the center of town to walk around the big church and relax before dinner. Trung met us there, another one of Linh's friends, whose nickname I don't remember... something like Shinnychinny? Hahah I don't know. Then we all went to dinner...

Dinner was at this place where you make little wraps of food. Hellos told us just to call it Wrap and Roll. He really likes rock and roll. Hellos is kind of crazy. He looks like a hipster and acts like Alyssa. They are made for each other. As friends.... don't worry Jay! They are both just very WEIRD!!! So you take a little wrap, and pick out all the leaves you want from this big bushel of different plants. Then you add some pickled veggies, pork, cucumber, bean sprouts and roll it all up and dip in the sauce. So good. Very light and refreshing, it was perfect. We got more coconut juice too. Then for dessert they ordered this jelly served in a coconut. It basically just melts in your mouth and tastes like a hint of coconut.

After that we went back to the center and sat down at a sidewalk eatery? I don't know what you would call it. We sat at little tiny tables and got dried squid, watermelon seeds, and mango with a special dipping powder of chili, salt, pepper, and dried shrimp. When the police came we all had to get up and move the tables away from the street. Trung said that if the police came back he would have to ride away on his scooter.

We ended the night we another foot massage. I was still sore from the last one though so it wasn't as magical. They do use hot stones too. I got a girl this time. Thank god.

6 comments:

  1. i tried fertilized egg from a can once...bad news bears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to burst your little bubble but Bourdain did have the fertilized egg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw crap, i saw the 2nd comment and i got excited because i thought you were actually COMMUNICATING WITH ME! but instead:

    ANONYMOUS COMMENT!!! omnipotence...

    ReplyDelete
  4. was it the huge ones like the filipinos eat? i dry heave just thinking about those and i'm pretty adventurous.

    (hi maryann!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man, you did the duck egg. I'm just going to have to think about you differently from now on ... j/k. I WISH I WERE THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo cool... I'm jealous.... I wish I were there... can't wait to go back...
    Yeah, every people that I introduced to you are my online friends (who turn out my good friends in real life)... It's sad that moviesboom was shut down last month after we sold that website a studio and they don't know how to run it and screwed up. but at least, everybody is still friends. we all have our nickname - like screenname. Chau (Quarfield from garfield), Trung (shinichi from Detective Conan, Japanese anime & manga character), Tung (Hello stranger from closer)... I don't know if they ever mentioned my nickname :D Check it out...
    You are brave... tried baby duck egg and snails? wow!!!!
    anyway, I'm glad that you have good time in Vietnam and I love to read your blog...

    ReplyDelete