Monday, June 29, 2009

Bourdain is Always Right

Yeah Vietnam is everything I hoped it would be and more. Seriously Anthony Bourdain and I need to get in touch because we just like too many of the same things (and hate such similar things). We flew into Ho Chi Minh City, thankfully got through customs with out a problem, and met up with Tuan who picked us up from the airport. We checked into our hotel and walked a few feet to a soup restaurant. The whole place smelled really strongly of fish sauce and was pretty dirty but who cares? We each got a different type of soup to try and I had my first taste of really delicious fresh coconut juice served in a coconut.

After lunch we called Nhat and he came and met us at our hotel. We walked through the market across the street where there were so many stands of fruit and veggies and candies and random things. Nhat picked some fruit and candies out for us to try. I guess I am not a big fan of lychee, I keep trying it and it just isn't that good to me. The smokey apple prune thing we had was gross and so was the tamarind candy and ginger thing. I am not really into all the sweets in Asia... I would prefer to stick with the real stuff: FOOD.

Nhat took us around the downtown area and showed us some important places. He is very good at English but very reserved. When we ask him to speak up, he just repeats himself at the same volume, or sometimes even softer. But he has gotten better, he is a bit shy. And being with two crazy Americans probably doesn't help him. We stopped at a coffee shop that was superrr cute. It was on the second floor of a building and decorated with vintage chairs and couches. We sat at a table with a bed near it and just drank water and coffee and relaxed in the cool air. Then we walked across the street and ate some dinner. The place seemed packed but we managed to get a seat almost immediately. We ordered so much food and tried so many things... ban couc I think it's called with pork and mushroomjs and a dipping sauce was the best thing, a thick noodle and crab soup, papaya salad, some kind of rice and bean thing?, well we took pictures so if we ever do post them you can look through them. Basically the food was incredible and the restaurant was really pretty, surrounded by trees. The food is prepared all around the restaurant in the open air so you can watch. Everything is so fresh and hand made. The meal was massive and the price? $4. Yeah. That's how they do it in Vietnam.

When we got back to the hotel, Alyssa and I used the computer which is when we encountered the crazy child I mentioned in my last entry. (I am a day behind everything, but so are you so it probably makes more sense). We took a video so we have proof. After that Alyssa came up with the brilliant plan to get foot massages. We aksed the front desk and headed about 3 blocks down the road to another hotel. Ok, I have never had a foot massage before, just a normal one, but apparently these kind are foot, hand, and back. So basically full body? Except it was 90 minutes and only $12. Yeah. How they do it. The massage itself was... interesting. We sat next to each other while two boys about our age massaged our bodies. It was rather awkward. Next time I am making sure to get a girl, I am pretty sure they got to second base. But whatever, the massage was amazing I could barely stay awake.

On our way back from the massage we encountered another strange childlike creature. I swear omg we are going to try to find him again and take a picture because I can't even describe this thing. He popped out of nowhere on the street and stared at us and would back up real quick out of fear. Like a wild animal. And this child was maybe 4 but he probably weighed 400 lbs. The only over-weight thing in this whole country and he is possessed. Gosh, I can't even describe him. Our mission tonight is to get another massage and catch him on tape. So preposterous.

I forgot to mention that when we said goodbye to Nhat, I went to hug him and it was the most awkward thing of my life. He like, didn't hug back. ANd I was like umm... sorry was that weird? Is that weird here? And he was like, Yes a little. So we just like, walked into our hotel sooo confused. And then today I talked to this girl and asked her if hugging is weird and what I should do instead and she's like, Um... no...? It is fine! Maybe he is just shy? ... Uh so who knows? Nhat is very nice but must be very scared of girls! Plus when I was on his bike with him (don't freak out parents/Kevin), I tried to wrap my arms around his waist and he was like Oh, no, um, put your hands on the bars on the side. But um no I need to hold onto something so I was like Uhhh sorry I will just hold your shoulders. ????!?!?!?!?!?! This boy needs to get a girlfriend.

3 comments:

  1. hahahahaha
    I guest to went to La fenĂȘtre de soleil cafe.
    OK, here the rule: we don't hug in Vietnam. I'm sorry. Also, if you are not his girlfriend or close friend, don't put your arms around a boy on his bike. Otherwise, his girl friend will be pissed off. (it's OK for me, if I was there haha).
    Have fun!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are doing a really great job with the blogs, especially having to do it on a freaking phone. i am thoroughly enjoying it. i've asked taylor to text me occasionally with a "today i saw the vatican" or something and i'd be happy.....chuck

    (did you chicken out on the stinky tofu???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually had the flu while I was in taiwan and couldn't eat even rice. it was miserable. of all the times i get sick it is during this trip! so needless to say, the stinky tofu didn't make me feel any better!

    ReplyDelete